Systems & Software
JPL is involved in the research, development and operations of data intensive systems for life sciences research, healthcare and other industries including development of software and informatics technologies to data management and discovery.
- Open source science data management platforms (e.g., Apache OODT platform)
- Complex modeling of information architectures
- Support for building complex data databases and systems for omics and other healthcare applications
- Reuse of space science technologies to support healthcare informatics
- Partners include National Institutes of Health, Leona Helmsley Foundation, multiple university and federal laboratory partners and industries.
Work at JPL on software and systems support, includes managing, processing, and analyzing large data sets as well as developing new methods to compress data and speed transmission of this information across the vast distances of space efficiently and securely, then organize that information, with no data loss in the process. The potential advancements for industry in this regard may seem obvious, but is often quite surprising in the variety of opportunities it yields. The following conference lectures sum up just a few of these potential applications of this technology.